Wednesday, June 13, 2012

HGTV DESIGN STAR EPISODE 3 RECAP

I woke up on the first day of challenge 3 with what had become my 'typical' anxious/nervous/excited feeling in my stomach.  Every muscle in my body still sore from the last challenge, and my mind still replaying the judges critiques at the evaluation from last night.  For you viewers, it would appear that we do one challenge a week for Design Star... no siree, there is no rest for the weary when it comes to filming a television show.  Our schedule looks a little something like this... morning call time typically begins at 6 am which involves us being dressed and ready to go for the day.  We head to our challenge and begin designing/working... the work day ends somewhere around 6-7pm and then we head home.  Occasionally, there is some 'night reality' at the house for another 30 minutes to an hour discussing our day as a group at the house.  Rinse & repeat for 1 to 2 more days depending on the particular time frame of the challenge.  The day after a completed challenge we get up early for one-on-one interviews with our producer to discuss our experience during the challenge.  (This is what is used as commentary for the episode.)  After 3-4 hours of interview, we change at the studio and get ready for a VERY long and extensive evaluation with the judges.  Only about 15 minutes of this evaluation actually makes it into the show but we are actually individually critiqued by each judge on our 3 main contributions to our spaces.  You quickly learn that you've got to not only be quick on your feet when it comes to design ideas, but also be someone that can function well off of very little sleep, and a diet of crafty snacks and red bull.

Rachel and I chose to be roommates in the house together after the first challenge and we stayed up all night trying to come up with ideas on what crazy challenge HGTV had in store for us next.  After the traditional challenges of our house remodel and the iconic White Room, I had no idea what to expect for challenge 3.  What I did know was that just being 'safe' so far in the competition was started to mess with my head a little and I was going to need to step it up somehow to stand out above the rest.  After some 'morning reality' at the house we were all loaded into the vans and headed towards what appeared to be our main production studio in Sherman Oaks.

David Bromstad with guest judge Kris Kardashian Jenner
We arrive in designers lounge at the studio to meet up with David for our new challenge reveal. He lets us know that we are designing a space for a busy Mom that people have trouble 'keeping up with'.  My jaw literally dropped to the floor when I found out we were designing the new office space for Kris Jenner and the Jenner/Kardashian family.  I watch their reality show 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' and part of that reason is because I am absolutely obsessed with the style of their homes, which are designed by the incredible Jeff Andrews. Everything about their spaces scream hollywood glamour, which is my favorite design style.  And talk about a major connections...if I can impress Kris Kardashian Jenner my design networking opportunities could be incredible! I was quickly brought back to reality when David let us know this week would be a double elimination.  Two people going home is double the pressure.  We also learned it was another partnered challenge and I was praying that I wasn't paired up with Luca or Miera for this one because, well, you know, they aren't the easiest to work with. Thankfully the design Gods blessed me by partnering Mikel and I together again.  We were assigned the task of designing the conference room, which is not typically the most 'interesting' room of an office, so we were going to have to find a way to really make our space unique and not your typical meeting space.  Mikel aka 'Mary Poppins' and I became really close from the start and work really well as a team, so we were SO thrilled to be working together again on this one.

HGTV Design Star Season 7 Episode 3 Cast
On the drive over to the office space, I came up with the 3D mirrored wall treatment for our space.  I know how much Kris Jenner loves mirrors in her space at home, and I wanted to make sure her conference room space reflected on an extension of her home, in a bigger, bolder, and unexpected way. Each team had 5 minutes to meet one on one with Kris, and I was anxious to not only meet her, but find out what her must haves for the space were.  Let me tell you, Kris is even more beautiful in person than she is on TV, and as soon as you meet her you can tell right away that she is a very sweet and caring soul.  You also got the sense that she was really pulling for all of us to do well, not only because she wanted a great office space, but because she knew how much this competition means for all of us designers. As soon as Kris confirmed with me that she "never meet a mirror she didn't like", I knew my mirrored wall would probably be her favorite element in the space.

HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Kris Kardashian  Jenner Communications Conference Room BEFORE
Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Britany Simon, Mikel Welch and David Bromstad HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Camera Challenge
Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Once the clock started on our challenge, the drama began!  Mikel & I closed ourselves off at the end of the hallway in our conference room hoping to escape.  From our space all we could hear was Bex & Luca arguing, Hilari & Danielle freaking out, and Miera reprimanding Kris for who knows what.  I remember thinking, oh boy, this is going to be interesting.  Mikel & I got through the challenge with no real hiccups to speak of, which probably explains the little face time we had on this episode.  After watching this episode last night it was clear HGTV wanted to highlight the drama more than the design process this time.  I was impressed with how well all the designers spaces turned out despite all of the time spent on bickering between eachother.  At first glace of the spaces, I couldn't tell who the clear winner or loser was, and was anxious but confident about heading into evaluation and learning my fate.

Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Britany Simon HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room- Britany's Chandelier and Custom Window Treatments

Britany Simon & Mikel Welch HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Conference Room
Britany Simon HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Custom 3D Mirror Wall
At evaluation I learned that my 3D mirror wall was one Kris, Genevieve and Vern's favorite element of the entire office.  It was exactly the confidence booster I needed, and our team ended up in 2nd place this week.  I was happy to not just fall into the 'safe' category for this challenge again, and hoped to continue moving my way up in the rank!  Stanley took home the win this week with his 'tennis bracelet' mirror installation, and a most improved camera challenge.  Stanley and Rachel were paired together in Kris Jenner's office, and I questioned if Stanley should have truly won the challenge.  I think the standout elements in Kris' office were the window arches, wallpaper, and sofa selections, which were all done by Rachel.  But I believe the judges didn't want her to totally dominate the first three episodes, so they had to share the love a little.  It was a double elimination, and Luca was the first eliminated.  You could tell by the lack of reaction in the designer lounge how we all felt about him going home.  Luca was a bully without the design skills to back it up, and it was definitely his time to go.  Bex was also eliminated, which unfortunately I think was mainly collateral damage from being partnered with Luca.  I can't imagine how hard it was to come up with much of anything design wise being a part of that team, let alone creating a space that would stand out above the rest.
Bex Hale & Luca Paganico HGTV Design Star Episode 3 Eliminated Designers

Tune in next week when we are all paired up again for an indoor/outdoor challenge with guest judge Sabrina Soto!  And don't forget to go online and vote for me as your HGTV Design Star Fan Favorite at http://www.hgtv.com/design-star-fan-vote/package/index.html

Also, inspired by my 3D mirrored wall, HGTV put together this How-To video to show you how you can create a similar mirror at home!




4 comments:

  1. Your wall was incredible loved the whole room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this episode. I love how you and Mikel work so well together. Sure the drama is fun to watch, but in the end I think better designers will have fewer problems (unless you're paired with a trouble maker. . . ) Awesome room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sitting here staring at each room in my home thinking... what would britany simon do!? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the conference room. At first glance, it looks like a dining table that we usually see in high class hotels. Aside from the elegance, it has a homey feel. You’ll feel comfortable whenever a meeting is ongoing, and that’s good because it can help lessen the pressure during the talk. That will break the ice and will make everyone open to and active in discussions.

    Sam Jephson

    ReplyDelete